Getting to St. Croix (STX)Non-stop:
- American Airlines from Miami, all year
- US Airways from Charlotte, seasonal
from San Juan
- Cape Air (800 352-0714)
- Seaborne Airlines (866-FLY-USVI)
- Cape Air (800 352-0714)
- Seaborne Airlines (866-FLY-USVI)
Please email us atif you are having difficulty with flight arrangements to St Croix.
The U.S. Virgin Islands is a United States Territory, American citizens traveling to or from the St. Croix, St. John and St. Thomas are considered not to have left the U.S., and thus do not need to present a passport. United States citizens can visit the State Departments travel website, www.travel.state.gov.
U.S. citizens traveling between the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands will continue to be able to use established forms of identification, such as original birth certificates and government-issued photo ID, to board flights and for entry.
- U.S. passport (must be valid) -or-
- Certified copy of birth certificate plus government issued photo ID -or-
- Official U.S. government document verifying citizenship
- Certificate of citizenship
- Certificate of naturalization
- Consular report of birth abroad of a U.S. Citizen
Customs and Immigration/Duty-free shopping
You will clear both customs and immigration in St. Croix. One benefit of this is that when you arrive home, you won't have to spend time in customs. Shopping on St. Croix is duty free. Any U.S. resident, including children, can return to the U.S. mainland with up to $1,200.00 worth of duty free imports, every 30 days. If your purchases exceed $1,200.00, the rate of duty is five percent on the next $1,000.00. U.S. residents over the age of 21 can return with five bottles of liquor duty-free, or six, if one of the bottles is produced locally.
St. Croix Basics
- Time zone: Atlantic Standard Time. Daylight savings time is not used. In winter, St Croix is one hour ahead of the eastern US coast. In the summer, the time is the same.
- Currency: US dollar. Credit cards and traveler's checks are widely honored.
- Temperature: Winter 72-85F; Summer 77-89F
- Electricity: 110 volt current, the same as the continental US.
St. Croix Transportation
Airport transfersPrivate taxi: $42 for 1-4 people one way for the 20 minute drive, arranged through our reservations office, . St Croix Taxi Association driver will be at taxi kiosk near baggage claim.
Regular taxi: $20 for one or two people, $10 for each additional person.
Rental car: maintains a fleet of cars at the airport and at the hotel. .
Transportation at The Buccaneer
Shuttle to Christiansted
- Shuttle service to Christiansted operates Monday - Saturday at 9, 10, 11 am, 1 and 3 pm.
- Shuttle service from Christiansted to The Buccaneer returns at 10:30, 11:30am, 1:30pm, 3:30pm, and 5:30 pm. (Shuttle does not operate on holidays.)
- Sunday shuttle to Holy Cross Catholic Church departs at 10:30am and returns at 12:30pm.
- Fare for all shuttles is $7 per person round trip; children under 12 are 50% off.
- Evening transportation, or for trips at other hours, taxi service is available.
Many guests enjoy renting a car for a day or two to explore St Croix, and experience driving on the left. Families especially benefit from renting a car, as taxi fares are based on the number of passengers. Cars are available both from the airport and at The Buccaneer. Advance reservations are recommended.
USVI law requires anyone with a non-U.S. drivers license to purchase a temporary driver's permit before operating a vehicle in the territory. Permits are available for $15.00 and are valid for 30 days.
Taxis and Sightseeing
The Buccaneer's concierge arranges local taxi service and sightseeing excursions for our guests. A four-hour guided tour including visits to the Captain Morgan Visitor's Center, Cruzan Rum Distillery, antique-filled Whim Plantation Great House, the Botanical Gardens, and the rain forest is offered on Wednesdays and Fridays. See concierge for more information.
Flights to St Thomas are operated by Cape Air (800 352-0714) and Seaborne Airlines (1-800-FLY TOUR).
All roads are closed in St Croix on Sunday May 4, 2014 from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the St. Croix Half-Ironman Triathlon. Please speak with the hotel if you are planning to arrive or depart on this date.
Breakfast at The Terrace and lunch at The Mermaid: Casual clothing, with covered bathing suits, shirts and footwear as minimum requirements.
The Grotto for lunch: Bathing suits and bare feet acceptable.
- Main entrance
- All restaurants and lounges are accessible
- Meeting space is accessible
- Entrance(s) to on-site swimming pool(s)
- Acessible route to the registration desk
- Registration desk accessible
- 32-inch wide opening door
- Route to accessible guest room
- All accommodation categories offer rooms suitable for handicapped guests.
Small, pre-approved dogs are welcome at The Buccaneer at no charge. Dogs must be kept on a leash when not in the room, and cause no disturbance to other guests. Dogs are never allowed on the beaches.
Laundry and Dry-cleaning
Shopping at The Buccaneer
The General Store carries toiletries, snacks, drinks, wine and beer, souvenirs, books and more. Lady Martel Boutique offers high quality resort wear for ladies and gentlemen. The Golf Shop and Tennis Shop stock name-brand sports apparel and merchandise. The Hideaway Spa provides a selection of hair, skin and body products.
- Cots, cribs, and highchairs are available free of charge.
- Shovels, pails and beach toys are available for use at the beaches.
- Children's life preservers are available.
- Babysitters are available with 24 hour notice. $15 per hour for one child; $8 for second and third children. Four children requires two sitters. Minimum three hours per session.
- Kids Camp operates year-round for 4-12 year olds, every day from 9:30 to 5:30. Camp is complimentary. Register for camp by 3pm on the day prior to your child's attendance in camp. Kids enjoy activities ranging from yoga to supervised swimming to arts and crafts.
Children under four years old may join other children at Kids Camp provided they are accompanied by a parent or sitter.
- Parents please note that the drinking age in St Croix is 18.
- DVD players are in all rooms, with a selection of DVD rentals available at the General Store.
Gift CertificatesGift certificates are available for purchase by contracting the following gift suppliers:
Wine, champagne, fruit and snacks baskets, chocolates, flowers
Golf Pro Shop for gift card for play, lessons, or merchandise
Tennis Pro Shop for gift play, lessons or merchandise