Landmark of St. Croix for Almost 70 Years
The Buccaneer has been an ardent supporter of the St Croix community and an enthusiastic steward of the environment for nearly 70 years. Three generations of the Armstrong family have dedicated significant resources and assistance to local schools, foundations, preservation groups, health initiatives, tourism development and community events.
Nature and Wildlife
Each year, The Buccaneer is proud to sponsor the National Park Service’s three month turtle watch program by housing the interns responsible for tagging and recording data on the endangered leatherback and green turtles.
St Croix is one of the two most prolific turtle nesting areas in the world.
The Buccaneer supports The East End Marine Park, The Nature Conservancy, Wild Bird Sanctuary, St. Croix Environmental Association, Friends of the Park – St. John National Park, St. Georges Botanical Gardens.
The Buccaneer is committed to services in the community that care for those in need.
The Women’s Coalition, CASA, Shriners, Bethlehem House, Queen Louise Home for Children, St Croix Animal Shelter, American Red Cross, 10,000 Helpers, VI Care, St Croix Rescue, American Cancer Society, Rotary, Big Brothers.
The Buccaneer supports students and our schools in the Virgin Islands as well as providing scholarships for students to attend college in the US.
Students attending hospitality/culinary programs at Johnson and Wales University have been major recipients over the years.
The University of the Virgin Islands, Good Hope Country Day School, Seventh Day Adventist School, St Mary’s School, Church of God Holiness, St Josephs’ Academy, A-Z Academy, All Saints Cathedral School, VI Beacon Schools.
Arts, Sports, Preservation, Tourism Development
St Croix’s active community is supported by The Buccaneer.
St Croix Coral Reef Swims, Ironman 70.3 Triathlon, St Croix Foundation, Island Music Journey, Caribbean Dance, St Croix Marathon, Taste of St Croix, America’s Paradise Half Marathon, US Pony Club, St Croix Junior Sailing, St Croix Dolphins Swim Team, St Croix Scenic 50 Mile Run, VI Pace Runners, Project St Croix, AYSO (Soccer), VI Triathlon Federation, Junior Golf Championship, St Croix Educational Complex Band, Department of Tourism.
Hotel Environmental Practices
- The Buccaneer uses bio-degradable cups, to-go boxes and other disposable items.
- Linen-saving procedures are in place to limit excessive laundering.
- Environmentally-friendly cleaning supplies and golf-course products are used wherever possible.
- In-room grooming products are “Bee Kind” brand, a division of Gilchrist and Soames. They are natural products, including honey, and packaged in re-fillable dispensers, to limit the amount of plastic entering the landfill.
- Bees nesting in guest areas are professionally managed and re-located to ensure their survival.
- Locally grown produce and freshly caught fish are purchased whenever possible. The Buccaneer’s restaurants are certified under the “Reef Responsible” program, encouraging local responsible fishing.
- The Buccaneer produces its own power and water; conservation of both is a priority.
- Energy-efficient lighting is used in all areas feasible.
- The Buccaneer provides 340 acres of wild-life habitat.
- Beach lighting is designed to discourage baby turtles from heading inland.